Nocturne

September 17, 2016


Do you know that feeling when certain things just bring back memories? Like how classical music and seeing certain books- a Bruce Springsteen memoir- takes me back to the time I worked in a bookstore for three months. I just close my eyes- with the classical music still playing in my ears- and I see the rows of bookshelves, the tall glass windows near the children's books' area where I was stationed. I can feel the hardwood floor beneath my feet. I can smell that familiar scent of books, and the strong perfume my colleague used to wear. I can almost feel the books as I run my fingertips along the rows of books. How weird was it that I treated those books like they were old friends, having conversations with them as if it was the most normal and natural thing in the world to do. I knew where every book was; that was a nice feeling to have. It has nothing to do with being proud about it. But I don't know, I loved that feeling of being able to help someone, even if it was just to look for a book. "Oh yeah, sure, the bestselling Maurice Sendak book? I'll take you right there." "Ah, you're looking for Bukowski? I know right where that is." "The new DC? I'll get that for you."
Ah memories. It truly amazes me how memories just linger in your brain. Just waiting for someone to flip a switch, and suddenly a memory that you haven't thought of for so long comes up and you can remember even the slightest detail.
Do you know that feeling when certain things just bring back memories? Well, I do.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts