The Parting Glass

September 04, 2013





  Once. Twice. Thrice.

If I knew this was to happen, I wouldn’t even have done it once. Not even once.

The solemnization, that was all I had to do. For you to be mine. And I, yours. But something inside made me turn away. You were the best I ever had. You were the best that I could’ve ever hoped for. But how was I to know? You were all I ever had. From what was once arranged, turned into something more.

For five years, I learned all I could about you. For five years, you were patient with me. You waited. And waited. And waited.

Once; you waited. I’m going nowhere, you said. I’ll be here waiting.

Twice; you waited. I’m going nowhere, you said. I’ll be here waiting. The more I can provide for us later, you said.

Thrice; you waited. I’m going nowhere, you said. I’ll be here waiting. Forever, I will.

A call. A call that made hearts tremble. A call that made eyes swell. A call from which I knew you were no longer mine.

You are no longer there.

You are no longer waiting.

Forever, remains just a promise that two longing hearts made.

You called. You waited. All I had to do was ask. All I had to do was say yes. But something pulled me back. Maybe you weren’t meant for me after all. Maybe we just weren’t meant to be. This was as good a sign as any. You are too good for me. You deserve better. There was a boulder on my chest, in my heart. A burden too large for me to bear. I couldn’t. I didn’t want to, but I had to. I had to let you go.

I smiled and joked about. Pretended nothing was wrong. Pretended as though nothing has happened. You still called. You made the situation harder. You made it hard for me to let go. You gave all that you saved up for us to me. You sacrificed everything. You gave it all up. Do you think that makes things easier? How should I let you go now? How am I supposed to let you go?

Tomorrow’s the day. Tomorrow’s the day I can no longer hope for a change. Tomorrow’s the day I lose you forever. Tomorrow’s the day that our story ends. Tomorrow’s the day that we erase our happy ending. Tomorrow’s the day that will forever remind me of all the times I turned you down. Tomorrow’s the first day of all the days to come that I can no longer look at you the same way. Tomorrow’s the day that everything we ever had will forever remain just that, a memory. Tomorrow, tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will have lost a love.

Two longing hearts. Two loving hearts. Finally separated. I’m sorry I ever made you wait. I’m sorry for all the times I turned you down.

You are no longer there.

You are no longer waiting.

Forever, remains just a promise, a word that two longing hearts made.


I bid you farewell. I wish you love. The parting glass. Goodnight and joy be with you.




Just thought I'd share something I wrote for a dear friend of mine. As you could've possibly guessed, it was inspired by this lovely Irish traditional classic. The song wasn't meant to be sad, but it really did strike a sad chord in my heart, as I hope this does in yours.. Regards.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts